What’s happening in New Zealand?
In New Zealand, conventional battery cages will be banned in 2022, but are being replaced by another kind of cage: the colony battery cage. As part of a global movement, SAFE is working to free all hens from cages.
The conditions in colony cages were exposed in an investigation. Footage showed hens trapped beneath perches and left to starve to death; dead hens left to rot alongside live hens; severely de-feathered hens living in overcrowded conditions.
The majority of New Zealanders do not want hens confined in cages; demonstrated by a nationwide Horizon poll showing that over 70% of people don't want colony cages introduced, on the grounds of cruelty. Consumer pressure is causing businesses to move away from the use of cage eggs.
The following are just some of the food businesses in New Zealand that have pledged to, or have already gone cage-free. NB. Some are cage-free in whole egg usage only. Please see company statements for further information.
Supermarkets and retailers
- Countdown: cage-free North Island 2024; South Island 2025
- New World, Pak’nSave and Four Square nationwide: cage-free 2027
- New World stores in Dannevirke, Carterton, Remuera (Auckland) and Metro Willis St (Wellington): already cage-free
- Four Square stores in Featherston and Greymouth: already cage-free
- All Farro Fresh stores: already free-range eggs
Restaurants, cafés, takeaways
- Pita Pit: already free-range eggs
- Wendy’s: already free-range eggs
- Burger King: already free-range eggs
- McDonald’s: already free-range eggs
- Hell Pizza: already free-range eggs for pizzas
- Burger Fuel: already free-range eggs
- The Coffee Club: already cage-free
- Habitual Fix: already free-range eggs
- Compass Group (the world’s largest foodservice company): cage-free globally by 2025
- Sodexo: cage-free globally by 2025
- General Mills: cage-free globally by 2025
- Pepsico: cage-free globally by 2025
- Mondelez (owns Cadbury): cage-free globally by 2018
- Kellogg’s: cage-free globally by 2025
These changes are part of a worldwide movement of food retailers who are phasing out cage eggs.