Fancy Fruit Medley
FROM THE KITCHEN:
Recipe kindly provided by Jinu Abraham, Executive Chef, Heritage Hotel, Auckland.
The essence of Christmas, creamed fruit mince with crunchy sliced almonds.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Roasted fruit – Roast apples, pears and bananas for 30 mins separately with a sprinkling of sugar if required. Put the fruit in the blender; add vanilla seeds and cinnamon powder. Blend on high speed, drizzle in the cacao butter to emulsify with the mix. Add water if the mix is too thick.
- Christmas fruit mince – Mix sugar, raisins, currants, olivani, zest and juice of orange, and cinnamon powder. Marinate overnight.
- Strawberry mix – Cut the strawberries in half, mix with any other berries, chopped mint, zest and juice of lime, and sugar. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Roast the almonds with icing sugar in a medium-hot oven at 150C for 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Spoon the roasted fruit in a dessert bowl. Top with christmas mince and layer with berries, finally sprinkle with sliced almonds.
Heritage Auckland offers vegan menu options from breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- 2 apples, peeled & cored
- 2 pears, peeled & cored
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 30g cacao butter, melted
- 1/2 vanilla pod, scraped
- 45g dark brown or demerara sugar
- 80g raisins or sultanas
- 20g dried currants
- 1 Tbsp Olivani or Coconut oil
- 1 orange Zest & juice
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 punnet strawberries
- 1/2 punnet blueberries
- Few mint leaves
- 1 lime (zest & juice)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 C sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar