Lentil, Mushroom & Nut Roulade
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Line anoven-proof dish with grease parchment paper and grease it.
Fry the mushrooms and garlic in a large frying pan, mixing all the time. Then, after a few minutes of letting them sweat, add the tomato paste, the curry powder and the onion powder and mix. A minute later, add the cooked lentils, and stir.
Add the spinach, sundried tomatoes, coriander seeds, salt, lemon/lime zest, and water. Cover and gently simmer for 20 minutes – the mixture should be thick, rich and very aromatic. Remove from heat, and allow to cool for 15 minutes or so until lukewarm.
Next, place thawed pastry sheets on a clean, floured surface, and roll the sheets together to create one sheet approximately 25 x by 18 cm. Spoon, a thick layer of spinach and lentil mix onto the pastry sheet.
With the mixture on the pastry, flatten and evenly distribute it using the back of a large spoon (see picture). Then add the grated soy/nut cheese, and top with roasted nuts, leaving a few for dusting the sides of the roulade at the end.
Now start slowly rolling the mixture away from you, until you reach the end. If any bits fall out of the side, just gently poke them back into place.
With clean and dry hands, dust the remaining nuts on the open sides of each end. Brush the roulade with soy/nut milk, then gently make horizontal surface-cuts at 5 mm intervals on the surface of the dough.
Lift the roulade up gently using 2 large metal spatulas onto the baking sheet. Place in the hot oven until it turns golden – around 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and assemble any accompanying veggies in another serving dish.
Thanks to Mouth Watering Vegan for the recipe.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 large mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 400g tin brown lentils, washed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 C cooked spinach, roughly chopped
- 6 to 8 sundried tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds
- Salt, to taste
- The zest of a small lemon or lime
- 2 to 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1/8 C water
- ¾ C whole hazelnuts, roasted, finely chopped
- 10 halved walnuts, roasted, finely chopped
- 1 C meltable nut/soy cheese
- 640g dairy-free shortcrust pastry
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Soy/nut milk to brush onto pastry
- Veggies/potatoes, for serving