Red Lentil, Chickpea & Chilli
Heat a large saucepan and toast the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 minute until they release their aromas. Add the oil and onion, and cook for five minutes. Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils have softened. Blend the soup with a handheld blender or food processor until it is a rough purée and then return to the pan. Add the chickpeas. Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander.
Serve with a dollop of soy/coconut yoghurt and coriander leaves.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Large pinch chilli flakes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 140g red split lentils
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 400g can tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped (save some leaves for garnish)
- Dallop of Soy/Coconut yoghurt