Aquafabulous Vegan Pavlovas
1. Drain the chickpeas, retaining the water and placing in the fridge until chilled (a few hours or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper (keep the tray out of the oven so it’s not warm).
3. With an electric mixer (hand or stand), beat the chickpea water and apple cider vinegar together until stiff foamy peaks form, like egg whites would – it should be thick and creamy. This takes about 2–3 minutes.
4. Next, gradually add the icing sugar while beating continuously, sifting in a tablespoon or so at a time, for 5–7 minutes, until glossy peaks form. Finally add the vanilla extract and sea salt and beat briefly until fully combined.
5. Dollop the pavlova mix onto the tray to form 6 circular individual pavlovas, piling the mixture up as high as possible, then use a spoon to even out the tops if needed (they should be ~10cm diameter).
6. Place in the oven, then close the door and immediately drop the temperature to 100 degrees Celsius. Bake for 90 minutes (don’t open the door) and then leave to cool in the oven for 15 minutes.
7. Transfer the pavlovas on the baking paper sheet to a wooden chopping board and leave to cool completely.
To make the whipped coconut cream:
1. Scoop only the top, firm half of the coconut cream from the tin and whip with vanilla extract using an electric mixer until fluffy.
2. Carefully lift pavlovas onto a cake stand or plate using a cake slice, then top with whipped coconut cream, berries, cherries, kiwifruit, mint, and coconut threads. Enjoy!
Recipe by Buffy Ellen, Be Good Organics.
- 2/3 cup chickpea water (from 1 × 400g can unsalted chickpeas, chilled)
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
Whipped Coconut Cream
- 1 × 400g can coconut cream (chilled)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract