Seitan Fried ‘Chicken’
In a mixing bowl, whisk the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, and spices.
Mix in the remaining ‘Seitan’ ingredients (1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable broth and soy sauce). Knead for a few minutes
Add the ‘Broth for boiling’ ingredients to tall pot, and bring to the boil.
Break off small pieces of the seitan dough, placing them into the broth. These will double in size, so add if you need to, add more water to cover them.
Simmer and cook for around 30 mins, flipping each piece halfway through.
Whisk together the flour mixture ingredients in one bowl and the egg mixture in a separate bowl.
Fill a large saucepan about 1 inch high with oil and heat on medium-high.
For each piece of seitan, cover in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then the flour mixture again and place in the hot oil.
Cook on each side until crispy.
Enjoy with a vegan aioli or BBQ dipping sauce
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp of each of paprika, garlic and onion powders
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
Broth for boiling
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp of each of paprika, garlic, onion and cayenne powders
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup egg replacer (e.g. No Egg)
- Vegetable oil (e.g. canola)