Makes 1½ cups
These simple, pickled vegetables round off a traditional relish tray or can be served as an appetite-whetter. The recipe can be improved with celery hearts that yield larger, paler slices than stalks. Red chillies create a pretty colour contrast, but any hot chillies will work well in the recipe. The pickles will keep up to two weeks refrigerated.
Bring rice vinegar, chillies, dill sprigs, pickling spice and a quarter cup of water to boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place celery pieces in glass jar or other glass container. Pour hot pickling liquid (including chilli slices and seeds, and dill sprigs) over celery. Cool 1 hour, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Adapted from a recipe by Vegetarian Times
- 1 C of vegetables (celery, carrots, cauliflower), chopped into 5 cm pieces
- 1 C seasoned rice vinegar
- 2-3 red jalapeño chillies, stems removed, seeds left intact, and thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp pickling spice mix
- Other relishes, crackers for serving