Vegan borscht (beetroot soup)
Put olive oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot on medium heat.
When oil is hot, add onion and leek, stir to coat, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring, until onion has softened and just begun to brown. Add garlic, tomato paste, paprika, caraway, bay leaf and thyme, and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
Add potatoes, beets and carrots, 6 cups water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer with lid ajar for 20 minutes, or until potatoes, beets and carrots are fork tender.
Add kale and vinegar, and stir. Add extra vinegar and salt to taste. Simmer until kale is done, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the cashew cream
To serve, ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with chopped dill, or herbs of your choice. Top with cashew cream, or plant-based yoghurt.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or plant-based butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large leek, diced (about 1 cup)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- About 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- About 6 beets, coarsely grated
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar, or to taste